Stretch marks can pop up in different parts of your body. For example, the belly, hips, lower back, arms, or breasts.
In general, women are more likely to get stretch marks than men.
As a matter of fact, pregnancy, intense growth, fast weight gain, or losing plenty of weight in a short period can cause stretch marks.
For the simple reason that the body grows faster than the required time for the skin to renovate itself.
In that case, some scars in the form of lines or stripes will appear on the surface.
Are stretch marks a bad thing?
They don't lead to any physical health troubles, but they can bring about mental challenges.
Namely, anxiety, poor self-image, and loss of self-esteem.
These scars or striae can arise most often on thighs, hips, abdomen, and breasts.
First of all, your skin starts to become thin and pink. Including itching or tenderness.
Next, wrinkles show up, and your skin color may turn to red, purple, reddish-brown, or dark brown.
Then, the stripes eventually fade, and the color will become a kind of gray or silvery after a while.
Lastly, they may gradually fade; however, it can take several years.
what causes Stretch marks?
Here are the most possible causes.
- Rapid weight gain
- Bodybuilding or muscle hypertrophy
- Childhood growth spurts
- Breast implant surgery
- Family background
- Marfan syndrome
- Cushing's syndrome
Can you prevent stretch marks?
There are some recommendations to help you avoid stria in the early-stages.
1 | keep your body hydrated
2 | Add vitamin C, D and E to your daily diet
3 | Punica granatum seed oil
It is an excellent source of conjugated fatty acids, anthocyanidins, and flavonoids, which are known as antioxidants and anti-inflammatory.
Punica granatum seed oil antioxidant effects are 3 times more than green tea. That's why it used as an antiaging.
4 | Zinc
5 | Croton lechleri or Dragon's blood
It is another excellent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, especially for healing.
C.lechleri extract can help increase fibroblasts that are cells that produce collagen.
But, you should talk to a doctor before any changes in your diet. It is highly recommended.
Some products claim to treat stretch marks by stimulating collagen production.
They claim to increase the elasticity and cell proliferation by anti‐inflammatory properties and rehydration.
But, more evidence for their efficacy for the treatment of stretch marks is required.
Where Can I Find The Best Products for Stretch marks treatments?
Skinception® by Dave David, MD. is a 100% natural Stretch Mark Cream that claims can reduce SD up to 72.5%, and they will start to fade in just four weeks.
Disclosure: There’re a couple of affiliate links, which means we may get a little commission if you purchase.
- Stretch marks: Causes and treatments. (n.d.). Retrieved June 01, 2020, from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/283651/
- Felson, S. (2019, February 08). Stretch Marks: Common Causes and How To Get Rid of Them. Retrieved June 01, 2020, from https://www.webmd.com/beauty/what-are-stretch-marks/
- Bogdan, C., Iurian, S., Tomuta, I., & Moldovan, M. (2017). Improvement of skin condition in striae distensae: development, characterization and clinical efficacy of a cosmetic product containing Punica granatum seed oil and Croton lechleri resin extract. Drug design, development and therapy, 11, 521–531. https://doi.org/10.2147/DDDT.S128470/
- Marcin, A. (2018, July 09). How to Prevent Stretch Marks: 7 Tips. Retrieved June 01, 2020, from https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-prevent-stretch-marks/
- Ud-Din, S., McGeorge, D., & Bayat, A. (2016). Topical management of striae distensae (stretch marks): prevention and therapy of striae rubrae and albae. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology : JEADV, 30(2), 211–222. https://doi.org/10.1111/jdv.13223